Radiographic study of the root canal system of mandibular incisors in Palestinian population


Aim: The aim of this study was to survey the root canal morphology of mandibular incisor teeth in a Palestinian population using radiographic approach. Materials and Methods: Five hundred and twenty two extracted mandibular incisor teeth were randomly collected from Palestinian population. The teeth were radiographed from a mesiodistal direction and examined for the presence of a second canal and for the type of canal configuration. Results: All teeth had single root. Three hundred and sixty nine teeth (70.7%) had one canal (type I Vertucci classification). The rest (29.3%) had a second canal (type II and III). Conclusion: Mandibular central and lateral teeth were mostly found to have one root and Type I canal system.

Share and Cite:

Mukhaimer, R. and Jarbawi, M. (2013) Radiographic study of the root canal system of mandibular incisors in Palestinian population. Open Journal of Stomatology, 3, 452-456. doi: 10.4236/ojst.2013.38075.

Conflicts of Interest

The authors declare no conflicts of interest.


[1] Slowey, R.R. (1974) Radiographic aids in the detection of extra root canals. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology, 37, 762-772.
[2] Vertucci, F.J. (1974) Root canal anatomy of the mandibular anterior teeth. Journal of American Dental Association, 89, 369-371.
[3] Kulild, J.C. and Peters, D.D. (1990) Incidence and configuration of canal systems in the mesiobuccal root of maxillary first and second molars. Journal of Endodontics, 16, 311-317.
[4] Gulabivala, K., Aung, T.H., Alavi, A. and Ng, Y.L. (2001) Root and canal morphology of Burmese mandibular molars. International Endodontic Journal, 34, 359-370.
[5] Miyashita, M., Kasahara, E., Yasuda, E. and Yamamoto, A. (1997) Root canal system of the mandibular incisor. Journal of Endodontics, 23, 479-484.
[6] Mauger, M.J., Schindler, W.G. and Walker, W.A. (1998) An evaluation of canal morphology at different levels of root resection in mandibular incisors. Journal of Endodontics, 24, 607-609.
[7] Aminisobhani, M., Sadegh, M., Meraji, N., Razmi, H. and Kharazifard, M.J. (2013) Evaluation of the Root and Canal Morphology of Mandibular Permanent Anterior Teeth in an Iranian Population by Cone-Beam Computed Tomography. Journal of Dentistry of Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 10, 358-366.
[8] de Oliveira, S.H., de Moraes, L.C, Faig Leite, H., Camargo, S.E. and Camargo, C.H. (2009) In vitro incidence of root canal bifurcation in mandibular incisors by radiovisiography. Journal of Applied Oral Sciences, 17, 234 239.
[9] Walker, R.T. (1988) The root canal anatomy of mandibular incisors in a southern Chinese population. International Endodontic Journal, 21, 218-223.
[10] Boruah, L.C. and Bhuyan, A.C. (2011) Morphologic characteristics of root canal of mandibular incisors in North-East Indian population: An in vitro study. Journal of Conservative Dentistry, 14, 346-350.
[11] Sert, S., Aslanalp, V. and Tanalp, J. (2004) Investigation of the root canal configurations of mandibular permanent teeth in the Turkish population. International Endodontic Journal, 37, 494-499.
[12] Altman, M., Guttuso, J., Seidberg, B.H. and Langeland, K. (1970) Apical root canal anatomy of human maxillary central incisors. Oral Surgury Oral Medicine Oral Pathology, 30, 694-699.
[13] Al-Qudah, A.A. and Awawdeh L.A., (2006) Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors in a Jordanian population. International Endodontic Jounal, 39, 873-877.
[14] Boruah, L.C. and Bhuyan, A.C. (2011) Morphologic characteristics of root canal of mandibular incisors in North East Indian population: An in Vitro study. Journal of Conservative Dentistry, 14, 346 350.
[15] Al-Fouzan, K.S., AlManee, A., Jan, J. and Al-Rejaie, M. (2012) Incidence of two canals in extracted mandibular incisors teeth of Saudi Arabian samples. Saudi Endodontic Journal, 2, 65-69.
[16] Ingle, J. and Bakland, L. (2002) Endodontics. 5th Edition, BC Decker, Hamilton.
[17] Janik, J.M. (1984) Access cavity preparation. Dental Clinics of North America, 28, 809-818.
[18] Logani, A., Singh, A., Singla, M. and Shah, N. (2009) Labial access opening in mandibular anterior teeth: An alternative approach to success. Quintessence, 40, 597-602.
[19] Clements, R.E. and Gilboe, D.B. (1991) Labial endodontic access opening for mandibular incisors: Endodontic and restorative considerations. Journal of Canadian Dental Association, 57, 587-589.
[20] Kartal, N. and Yanikoglu, F. (1992) Root canal morphology of mandibular incisors. Journal of Endodoncs, 18, 562-564.
[21] Benjamin, K.A. and Dowson, J. (1974) Incidence of two root canals in human mandibular incisor teeth. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology, 32, 122-126.

Copyright © 2024 by authors and Scientific Research Publishing Inc.

Creative Commons License

This work and the related PDF file are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.