SCIRP Mobile Website
Paper Submission

Why Us? >>

  • - Open Access
  • - Peer-reviewed
  • - Rapid publication
  • - Lifetime hosting
  • - Free indexing service
  • - Free promotion service
  • - More citations
  • - Search engine friendly

Free SCIRP Newsletters>>

Add your e-mail address to receive free newsletters from SCIRP.


Contact Us >>

WhatsApp  +86 18163351462(WhatsApp)
Paper Publishing WeChat
Book Publishing WeChat

Article citations


Wong, K.S., Ngai, C.S., Yeo, E.L., Tang, L.C. and Ho, P.C. (2000) A comparism of two regimens of intravaginal misoporstol for termination of second trimester pregnancy: A randomized comparative trial. Human Reproduction, 15, 709-712. doi:10.1093/humrep/15.3.709

has been cited by the following article:

  • TITLE: Unsupervised medical abortion with misoprostol among adolescent—what is the prospect of demedicalise abortion in sub-Saharan Africa?

    AUTHORS: Adebiyi Gbadebo Adesiyun, Austin Ojabo

    KEYWORDS: Demedicalise Abortion; Misoprostol; Adolescent; Medical Abortion

    JOURNAL NAME: Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol.1 No.4, December 28, 2011

    ABSTRACT: Objective: To find out clinical presentation and outcome of unsupervised use of misoprostol as abortifacent among adolescents presenting with abortion complications. Methods: Case series of thirty one adolescents that presented with abortion complications following unsupervised use of misoprostol. Results: Over a period of 3 years, 31 adolescents were seen, with median age of 17 years. Twenty nine (93.5%) were unmarried and 22 (71%) were in secondary school. Pregnancy duration was 3months and above in 23 (74.2%) of the patients. The cumulative dose of misoprostol tablet ingested was 2 (400 µg) in 17 (54.8%) of the patients. Twenty three (74.2%) patients presented with incomplete abortion with mild sepsis while the remaining 8 (25.8%) patients were admitted and managed with incomplete abortion with severe sepsis. Treatments offered were manual vacuum aspiration in 23 (74.2%) patients, evacuation of retained product of conception under anaesthesia in 7 (22.6%) patients and 1 (3.2%) patient had laparotomy with uterine repair following inadvertent uterine perforation complicating curettage for incomplete abortion. Complications encountered were anaemia 67.7%, uterine perforation 3.2%, blood transfusion 9.7% and diarrhoea in 8 (25.8%) patients. Conclusion: Demedicalise abortion with misoprostol due to improper dosing protocol may be associated with incomplete abortion and its sequelae in an uninformed adolescent population. Establishment of adolescent friendly medical centre that offers post abortion care will go a long way in alleviating this problem.