SCIRP Mobile Website
Paper Submission

Why Us? >>

  • - Open Access
  • - Peer-reviewed
  • - Rapid publication
  • - Lifetime hosting
  • - Free indexing service
  • - Free promotion service
  • - More citations
  • - Search engine friendly

Free SCIRP Newsletters>>

Add your e-mail address to receive free newsletters from SCIRP.


Contact Us >>

WhatsApp  +86 18163351462(WhatsApp)
Paper Publishing WeChat
Book Publishing WeChat

Article citations


IBGE (2016) Perfil dos Estados Brasileiros. [Profile of the Brazilian States.]

has been cited by the following article:

  • TITLE: Natural Disaster Risk in Municipal Solid Waste Disposal Sites Using GIS: A Case Study in São Paulo State, Brazil

    AUTHORS: Victor Fernandez Nascimento, Anahi Chimini Sobral, Pedro R. Andrade, Nazli Yesiller, Jean Pierre Henry Balbaud Ometto

    KEYWORDS: Landfills, Spatial Analysis, Susceptibility, Hazard, Landslides, Flood

    JOURNAL NAME: Journal of Water Resource and Protection, Vol.9 No.11, October 19, 2017

    ABSTRACT: Natural disasters and finding suitable areas to dispose of municipal solid waste (MSW) are two major global challenges, both of which have several influences in the water resources and are related to climatic change, especially in developing countries like Brazil. Currently the risk of natural disasters is not utilized in the process of locating areas to dispose of MSW. This study, using geographic information system (GIS), analyzed spatially the susceptibility for landslide and flooding hazards in MSW disposal sites in S?o Paulo state, Brazil. The results showed that more than 90% of sanitary and ditch landfills are located in null, very low and low hazard classes (P0, P1 and P2). However, in this remaining 10% of landfills we still have approximately 55% of the total municipal solid waste disposed into susceptible areas with middle, high and very high hazard classes (P3, P4 and P5). This shows that S?o Paulo MSW disposal sites need more attention and control to prevent the occurrence of landslide/flooding and consequently the mitigation of environmental, economic and social impacts. In addition, the use of GIS is proved to be an appropriate tool to carry out this type of analysis, so we recommend that the risk of natural disasters should be taken into consideration in the process of finding landfill areas. Mainly, because, there is a tendency for extreme weather events to increase causing more flood and landslide events and consequently contributing to water scarcity and water degradation.