Energy Scenario: Production, Consumption and Prospect of Renewable Energy in Australia


Australia is the world’s 9th largest energy producer, 17th largest consumer of non-renewable energy resources and ranks 18th on a per person energy consumption basis.Australia’s energy consumption is primarily composed of non-renewable energy resources (coal, oil, gas and related products), which represent 96% of total energy consumption. Renewables, the majority of which is bioenergy (wood and wood waste, biomass, and biogas) combined with clear energy namely wind, solar hot water, solar electricity, hydroelectricity account for the remaining 4% consumption.Australia’s renewable energy resources are largely undeveloped which will contribute directly to the Australian economy. In this article, a review of literature on energy scenario is presented and discussed.Australia’s total energy production, consumption, storage and export (including renewable and non-renewable) data has been analyzed and discussed in this study. The main objective of the study is to analyze the prospect of renewable energy inAustralia. This study concludes that Australian economy will grow faster if its undeveloped renewable energies can be used efficiently for electricity generation and transport sector.

Share and Cite:

Azad, A. , Khan, M. , Ahasan, T. and Ahmed, S. (2014) Energy Scenario: Production, Consumption and Prospect of Renewable Energy in Australia. Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, 2, 19-25. doi: 10.4236/jpee.2014.24004.

Conflicts of Interest

The authors declare no conflicts of interest.


[1] Omri, A. (2013) CO2 Emissions, Energy Consumption and Economic Growth Nexus in MENA Countries: Evidence from Simultaneous Equations Models. Energy Economics, 40, 657-664.
[2] Ong, H.C., Mahlia, T.M.I. and Masjuki, H.H. (2011) A Review on Energy Scenario and Sustainable Energy in Malaysia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15, 639-647.
[3] U.S.E.I. Administration (2013) International Energy Outlook.
[4] Willcock, C.N. and McCluskey, C. (2013) Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics, Energy in Australia 2013.
[5] Penney, A.S.K., Ball, A. and Hitchins, N. (2013) Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics, Energy in Australia 2012.
[6] Che, A.F.N., McCluskey, C., Pham, P., Willcock, T. and Stanwix, G. (2013) Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics. Australian Energy Update 2013.
[7] van Ettinger, J. (1994) Sustainable Use of Energy: A Normative Energy Scenario: 1990-2050. Energy Policy, 22, 111-118.
[8] Masjuki, H.H., Mahlia, T.M.I., Choudhury, I.A. and Saidur, R. (2002) Potential CO2 Reduction by Fuel Substitution to Generate Electricity in Malaysia. Energy Conversion and Management, 43, 763-770.
[9] Bushnell, J., Chen, Y. and Zaragoza-Watkins, M. (2014) Downstream Regulation of CO2 Emissions in California’s Electricity Sector. Energy Policy, 64, 313-323.
[10] Kirsten, S. (2014) Renewable Energy Sources Act and Trading of Emission Certificates: A National and a Supranational Tool Direct Energy Turnover to Renewable Electricity-Supply in Germany. Energy Policy, 64, 302-312.
[11] Talaei, A., Ahadi, M.S. and Maghsoudy, S. (2014) Climate Friendly Technology Transfer in the Energy Sector: A Case Study of Iran. Energy Policy, 64, 349-363.
[12] Cohen, J.E. (2001) World Population in 2050: Assessing the Projections. Conference on Series-Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, 2001, 83-113.
[13] Vadiee, A. and Martin, V. (2014) Energy Management Strategies for Commercial Greenhouses. Applied Energy, 114, 880-888.
[14] Hannam, P. (2013) Renewable Energy Study Tips Viable Reality by 2030.
[15] Puri, M., Abraham, R.E. and Barrow, C.J. (2012) Biofuel Production: Prospects, Challenges and Feedstock in Australia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, 6022-6031.
[16] D.O.E. Australian Government (2013) The Australian Energy Market Operator’s 100 Percent Renewavle Study.
[17] Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (2013) Australian Energy Statistics Data.

Copyright © 2023 by authors and Scientific Research Publishing Inc.

Creative Commons License

This work and the related PDF file are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.