Choking due to fruit drink aspiration


A case of a fatal foreign material aspiration is presented in the following paper. During the autopsy, an orange colored mucus plug was noted in the trachea, which was completely occluding the lumen from mid-level downwards causing a lethal respiratory insufficiency. The bio-chemical and chemical analysis was positive for fructose; there was history of intake of a mango fruit drink just before induction for surgery. The anatomo-pathological exam of the lungs showed the signs of acute asphyxia (Microscopic examinations revealed atelectasia, emphysema, eosinophilic exudate and empty spaces).This case represents a rare lethal event related to the aspiration of a fruit drink in a child just prior to induction.

Share and Cite:

Sharma, L., Sirohiwal, B. and Paliwal, P. (2013) Choking due to fruit drink aspiration. Forensic Medicine and Anatomy Research, 1, 1-3. doi: 10.4236/fmar.2013.11001.

Conflicts of Interest

The authors declare no conflicts of interest.


[1] Blaschke, U. and Cheng, E.Y. (1989) Foreign body in upper airway. Unsuspected cause of obstruction. Postgraduate Medicine, 86, 235-237.
[2] Casson, A.G. and Guy, J.R. (1998) Foreign-body aspiration in adults. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 30, 193-194.
[3] Lai, Y.F., Wong, S.L., Chao, T.Y. and Lin, A.S. (1996) Bronchial foreign bodies in adults. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, 95, 213-217.
[4] Munter, D.W. (2001) Foreign bodies, trachea. Emergency Medicine Journal, 2, 28.
[5] Warshawsky, E.M. (2003) Foreign body aspiration. Emergency Medicine Journal, 3.
[6] Sinha, V., Memon, R., Gupta, D., Prajapati, B., Bhat, V. and Yogesh, M. (2007) Foreign body in tracheobronchial tree. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery, 59, 211-214. doi:10.1007/s12070-007-0063-9
[7] Barbera, N., Arcifa, V., Valenti, V., Spadaro, G., Tomasello, S. and Romano, G. (2012) Fatal asphyxia by complete laryngeal obstruction due to chewing-gum aspiration in an adult woman—Case Report. Romanian Journal of Legal Medicine, 20, 33-36. doi:10.4323/rjlm.2012.33
[8] Arbarello, P., Di Luca, N.M., Feola, T. and Macchiarelli, L. (2005) Medicina Legale. 2nd Edition, Minerva Medica, Torino, 343-345.
[9] Njau, S.N. (2004) Adult sudden death caused by aspiration of chewing gum. Forensic Science International, 139, 103-106. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2003.09.021
[10] Berzlanovich, M.A., Manfred, M., Sim, E. and Bauer, G. (1999) Foreign body asphyxiation—An autopsy study. American Journal of Medicine, 107, 351-355. doi:10.1016/S0002-9343(99)00242-9
[11] Donato, L., Weiss, L., Bing, J. and Schwarz, E. (2000) Tracheobronchial foreign bodies. Archives de Pédiatrie, 7, 56s-61s. doi:10.1016/S0929-693X(00)88821-1
[12] Kitay, G. and Shafer, N. (1989) Café coronary: Recognition. Nurse Practitioner, 14, 35-46. doi:10.1097/00006205-198906000-00004
[13] Eller, W.C. and Haugen, R. (1973) Food asphyxiation- restaurant rescue. New England Journal of Medicine, 289, 81-82. doi:10.1056/NEJM197307122890206
[14] Berzlanovich, A.M., Fazeny-Dorner, B., Waldhoer, T., Fasching, P. and Keil, W. (2005) Foreign body asphyxia: A preventable cause of death in the elderly. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 28, 65-69. doi:10.1016/S0749-3797(04)00077-7
[15] Deepak, H., Vaidiyanathan, S., Ranganath, A.K., Patel, A.K. and Gupta, R. (2008) Asymptomatic foreign body aspiration in a child. Internet Journal of Anesthesiology, 17. body-aspiration-in-a-child.html#sthash.MLZCK7Y1.dpuf
[16] Qureshi, S. and Mink, R. (2003) Aspiration of fruit gel snacks. Experience and reason. Pediatrics, 111, 687-689. doi:10.1542/peds.111.3.687
[17] Swanson, K.L. and Edell, E.S. (2001) Tracheobronchial foreign bodies. Chest Surgery Clinics of North America, 11, 861-872.

Copyright © 2022 by authors and Scientific Research Publishing Inc.

Creative Commons License

This work and the related PDF file are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.