system for different irradiance conditions is shown in Table 3. It can be seen from Table 3 that the algorithm actually works and improves the efficiency of the PV system. The algorithm becomes more efficient when the number of series connected cells/modules is increased.
The paper presents new MPPT algorithm for partial shading of series connected PV cells/modules. The algorithm performs active bypassing of the shaded cells that decrease the total output power of the PV system.
By performing extensive simulation of different shading conditions, the algorithm was tested for two series connected cells. It was shown that algorithm works and increases the output power under partial shading conditions. Furthermore, the algorithm becomes more efficient when the number of cells is increased. Therefore, it should be used in large PV installations.
Cite this paper
Baimel, D., Tapuchi, S. and Baimel, N. (2017) New Improved Maximum Power Point Tracking Algorithm for Partially Shaded PV Systems. Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, 5, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.4236/jpee.2017.59005
- 1. Lim, L.I.H., Ye, Z., Ye, J.Y., Yang, D.Z. and Du, H. (2015) A Linear Identification of Diode Models from Single I-V Characteristics of PV Panels. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 62, 4181-4193. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2390193
- 2. Reis, F., Guerreiro, C., Batista, F., Pimentel, T., Pravettoni, M., Wemans, J., Sorasio, G. and Brito, M.C. (2015) Modeling the Effects of Inhomogeneous Irradiation and Temperature Profile on CPV Solar Cell Behavior. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 5, 112-122.
- 3. Spertino, F. and Akilimali, J.S. (2009) Are Manufaturing I-V Mismatch and Reverse Currents Key Factors in Large Photovoltaic Arrays? IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 56, 4520-4531. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2025712
- 4. Patel, H. and Agarwal, V. (2008) MATLAB-Based Modeling to Study the Effects of Partial Shading on PV Array Characteristics. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 23, 302-310.
- 5. Ghitas, A.E. and Sabry, M. (2006) A Study of the Effect of Shadowing Location and Area on the Si Solar Cell Electrical Parameters. Vacuum, 81, 475-478.
- 6. Drif, M., Perez, P.J., Aguilera, J. and Aguilar, J.D. (2008) A New Estimation Method of Irradiance on a Partially Shaded PV Generator in Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Systems. Renewable Energy, 33, 2048-2056.
- 7. Maki, A. and Valkealahti, S. (2012) Power Loss in Long String and Parallel Connected Short Strings of Series-Connected Silicon-Based Photovoltaic Modules Due to Partial Shading Conditions. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27, 173-183.
- 8. Paraskevadaki, E.V. and Papathanassiou, S.A. (2011) Evaluation of MPP Voltage and Power of Mc-Si PV Modules in Partial Shading Conditions. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 26, 923-932. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2126021
- 9. Mastromauro, R.A., Liserre, M. and Dell’Aquila, A. (2012) Control Issues in Single-Stage Photovoltaic Systems: MPPT, Current and Voltage Control. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 8, 241-254.
- 10. Ishaque, K., Salam, Z., Taheri, H., et al. (2011) Maximum Power Point Tracking for PV System under Partial Shading Condition via Particle Swarm Optimization. 2011 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Colloquium (IAPEC 2011), Johor Bahru, 18-19 April 2011.
- 11. Petrone, G., Spagnuolo, G., Teodorescu, R., et al. (2008) Reliability Issues in Photovoltaic Power Processing Systems. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 55, 2569-2580.
- 12. Jeddi, N. and El Amraoui Ouni, L. (2014) Comparative Study of MPPT Techniques for PV Control Systems. International Conference on Electrical Sciences and Technologies in Maghreb, Tunis, 3-6 November 2014, 1-7.
- 13. Raj, J.S.C.M. and Jeyakumar, A.E. (2014) A Novel Maximum Power Point Tracking Technique for Photovoltaic Module Based on Power Plane Analysis of I-V Characteristics. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 61, 4734-4745.
- 14. Sera, D., Teodorescu, R., Hantschel, J. and Knoll, M. (2008) Optimized Maximum Power Point Tracker for Fast-Changing Environmental Conditions. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 55, 1017-1026.
- 15. Vinay, P. and Mathews, M.A. (2014) Modelling and Analysis of Artificial Intelligence Based MPPT Techniques for PV Applications. International Conference on Advances in Green Energy (ICAGE), Thiruvananthapuram, 17-18 December 2014, 56-65.
- 16. Chiu, C.-S. and Ouyang, Y.-L. (2011) Robust Maximum Power Tracking Control of Uncertain Photovoltaic Systems: A Unified T-S Fuzzy Model-Based Approach. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 19, 1516-1526.
- 17. Chikh, A. and Chandra, A. (2015) An Optimal Maximum Power Point Tracking Algorithm for PV Systems with Climatic Parameters Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 6, 644-652. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2403845
- 18. Uoya, M. and Koizumi, H. (2015) A Calculation Method of Photovoltaic Array’s Operating Point for MPPT Evaluation Based on One-Dimensional Newton-Raphson Method. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 51, 567-575.
- 19. Bizzarri, F., Bongiorno, M., Gruosso, G. and Gajani, G.S. (2013) Model of Photovoltaic Power Plants for Performance Analysis and Production Forecast. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 4, 278-285.
- 20. York, B., Yu, W. and Lai, J.-S. (2013) An Integrated Boost Resonant Converter for Photovoltaic Applications. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 28, 1999-1207.
- 21. Li, W.H. and He, X.N. (2011) Review of Nonisolated High-Step-Up DC/DC Converters in Photovoltaic Grid-Connected Applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58, 364-369.
- 22. Zbeeb, A., Devabhaktuni, V. and Sebak, A. (2009) Improved Photovoltaic MPPT Algorithm Adapted for Unstable Atmospheric Conditions and Partial Shading. 2009 International Conference on Clean Electrical Power, Capri, 9-11 June 2009, 320-323.
- 23. Karatepe, E., Hiyama, T., Boztepe, M. and Çolak, M. (2008) Voltage Based Power Compensation System for Photovoltaic Generation System under Partially Shaded Insolation Conditions. Energy Conversion and Management, 49, 2307-2316.
- 24. Patel, H. and Agarwal, V. (2008) Maximum Power Point Tracking Scheme for PV Systems Operating under Partially Shaded Conditions. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 55, 1689-1698.
- 25. Tat Luat, N. and Kay-Soon, L. (2010) A Global Maximum Power Point Tracking Scheme Employing DIRECT Search Algorithm for Photovoltaic Systems. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 57, 3456-3467.
- 26. Kobayashi, K., Takano, I. and Sawada, Y. (2006) A Study of a Two Stage Maximum Power Point Tracking Control of a Photovoltaic System under Partially Shaded Insolation Conditions. Solar Energy Mater. Solar Cells, 90, 2975-2988.
- 27. Severini, M., et al. (2017) Energy Management with Support of PV Partial Shading Modelling in Micro Grid Environments. Energies, 10, 453.