SCIRP Mobile Website
Paper Submission

Why Us? >>

  • - Open Access
  • - Peer-reviewed
  • - Rapid publication
  • - Lifetime hosting
  • - Free indexing service
  • - Free promotion service
  • - More citations
  • - Search engine friendly

Free SCIRP Newsletters>>

Add your e-mail address to receive free newsletters from SCIRP.


Contact Us >>

Article citations


Almuhanna, M.A., Alsaif, M., Alsaadi, M. and Almajwal, A. (2014) Fast Food Intake and Prevalence of Obesity in School Children in Riyadh City. Sudan Journal of Paediatric, 14, 71-80.

has been cited by the following article:

  • TITLE: Effects of Food Habits and Lifestyle on Prevalence of Overweight/Obesity among Schoolchildren in Taif Area, KSA

    AUTHORS: Fayez Hamam, Ahmed Eldalo, Mohammad Khaleel, Abdullah Alwagdani, Ahmed Alqarni, Bandr Daghas, Msfer Alharthi, Huda Alharthy, Samah Hassen, Abrar Alsofiany, Sahar Alotaibie

    KEYWORDS: Overweight, Obesity, Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference, Food Habits, Lifestyle

    JOURNAL NAME: Food and Nutrition Sciences, Vol.8 No.2, February 7, 2017

    ABSTRACT: Background/Objectives: The Saudi population has experienced significant transformations in their lifestyle which could be attributed to several factors. Aims: This work sought to determine effects of food habits and lifestyle on prevalence of overweight (OW)/obesity (OB) among schoolchildren in Taif City, KSA. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out using well-designed questionnaire. Pretested questionnaire was randomly distributed among schoolchildren in Taif city. Body mass index and waist circumference were used as tools for assessing nutritional status of schoolchildren. Results: A total of 2027 students filled the questionnaire with a mean age of 15.83 ± 2.18 years. The prevalence of OW and OB was 14.6% and 12.9%, respectively, while the combined one was 27.5%. The combined prevalence of OW and OB was significantly higher among boys than girls (31.9 vs. 21.9). Schoolchildren from high income families had high rate of OW and OB. Smoking, stress, TV viewing, daylight and night sleep had no effects on BMI, while only smoking of a family member and stress had considerable relationship with W_C. Unfortunately, 52.2% of students admitted that they were physically inactive but this effect was insignificant for both indicators. Students skipped breakfasts constitute 18.8% of subjects included but link with BMI and W_C was statistically insignificant. Regular soft or diet drinks had significant effects on BMI. Results showed considerable link between consumption of fruits/vegetables, grains and W_C. Conclusions: The prevalence of combined OW/OB among schoolchildren was 27.5%. Family income, participant’s gender, intake of regular soft or diet drinks had significant effects on BMI. While, stress, smoking of a family member, and uptake of fruits and vegetables showed considerable relationship with W_C.