Share This Article:

Possibilities of Creating Zero CO2 Emissions Olive Pomace Plants Due to Energy Use in Crete, Greece

Full-Text HTML XML Download Download as PDF (Size:558KB) PP. 78-87
DOI: 10.4236/ojee.2016.53008    849 Downloads   1,019 Views  
Author(s)    Leave a comment


Olive pomace plants process olive paste, a waste product of olive mills which produces crude olive kernel oil and olive kernel wood. Olive kernel wood has very good burning characteristics, high heat content, low cost and it is used as a renewable solid fuel replacing liquid fuel and heating oil. Part of the produced olive kernel wood is consumed inside the factory for heat generation and the rest is sold to heat consumers. It has been estimated that a typical olive pomace plant located in Crete, Greece consumes 42.86% of the produced olive kernel wood for its own heat generation, while the remaining 57.14% is sold to various heat consumers. 99.1% of the energy used in these plants is consumed for heating and the rest, 0.9%, for lighting and the operation of various electric devices. Olive pomace plants utilize a renewable solid fuel, which is carbon neutral, for the production of thermal energy. Therefore their CO2 emissions regarding energy utilization are due to electricity use. Installation of solar-PV panels in the plant could generate annually all the electricity needed for its operation. The current legal framework in Greece through net-metering allows the offsetting of grid electricity consumed in factories with PV electricity. The required capital cost of a solar-PV system installed in a typical olive pomace plant located in Crete, Greece in order to offset the grid electricity consumed annually has been estimated at 185,832€, the payback period of 5.33 years and the net present value at 555,671€. Since the plant could utilize only solid biomass for heat generation and could offset the grid electricity consumption with solar electricity, its total CO2 emissions due to energy use would be zero contributing positively to climate stabilization.

Cite this paper

Vourdoubas, J. (2016) Possibilities of Creating Zero CO2 Emissions Olive Pomace Plants Due to Energy Use in Crete, Greece. Open Journal of Energy Efficiency, 5, 78-87. doi: 10.4236/ojee.2016.53008.


[1] Gielen, D., Newman, J. and Patel, M.K. (2008) Reducing Industrial Energy Use and CO2 Emissions: The Role of Materials Science. MRS Bulletin, 33, 471-477.
[2] International Energy Agency (2007) Tracking Industrial Energy Efficiency and CO2 Emissions.
[3] Grantham Institute for Climate Change (2012) Reducing CO2 Emissions from Heavy Industry: A Review of Technologies and Considerations for Policy Makers. Briefing Paper No. 7, Imperial College, London.
[4] Wise, M.A., Smith, S.J., Sinha, P. and Lurz, Z.P. (2007) Long Term US Industrial Energy Use and CO2 Emissions. Report for the US Department of Energy.
[5] Vourdoubas, J. (2016) Creation of Zero CO2 Emissions Residential Buildings Due to Energy Use. A Case Study in Crete-Greece. Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture Research, 3, 1251-1259.
[6] Floros, N. and Vlachou, A. (2005) Energy Demand and Energy-Related CO2 Emissions in Greek Manufacturing: Assessing the Impact of a Carbon Tax. Energy Economics, 27, 387-413.
[7] Nader, S. (2009) Paths to a Low-Carbon Economy—The Masdar Example. Energy Procedia, 1, 3951-3958.
[8] Matthews, H.D. and Caldeira, K. (2008) Stabilizing Climate Requires Near-Zero Emissions. Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L04705.
[9] Mekhilef, S., Saidur, R. and Safari, A. (2011) A Review on Solar Energy Use in Industries. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15, 1777-1790.
[10] World Bank (2011) CO2 Emissions, Overview per Country.
[11] Sánchez Moral, P. and Ruiz Méndez, M.V. (2006) Production of Pomace Olive Oil. Grasas y Aceites, 57, 47-55.
[12] Borja, R., Raposo, F. and Rincón, B. (2006) Treatment Technologies of Liquid and Solid Wastes from Two-Phase Olive Oil Mills. Grasas y Aceites, 57, 32-46.
[13] Chartzoulakis, K. (2014) Management of Olive Mill Wastes in Greece. Olive Oil Production Technologies and Their Environmental Impact. Izmir, Turkey.
[14] García-Maraver, A., Zamorano, M., Ramos-Ridao, A. and Díaz, L.F. (2012) Analysis of Olive Grove Residual Biomass Potential for Electric and Thermal Energy Generation in Andalusia (Spain). Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, 745-751.
[15] Skoulou, V. and Zabaniotou, A. (2007) Investigation of Agricultural and Animal Wastes in Greece and Their Allocation to Potential Application for Energy Production. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 11, 1698-1719.
[16] Tselepis, St. (2015) The PV Market Developments in Greece, Net-Metering Study Cases.
[17] Ogden, J.M., Hochgreb, S. and Hylton, M. (1990) Steam Economy and Cogeneration in Cane Sugar Factories. International Sugar Journal, 92, 131-140.
[18] Dantas, G.A., Legey, L.F.L. and Mazzone, A. (2013) Energy from Sugarcane Bagasse in Brazil: An Assessment of the Productivity and Cost of Different Technological Routes. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 21, 356-364.
[19] Vourdoubas, J. and Kaliakatsos, J. (1998) Production and Use of Olive Kernel Wood in Crete. Proceedings of the 10th European Conference, Biomass for Energy and Industry, Würzburg, 8-11 June 1998, 905-907.
[20] Alketan, O. (2012) Potential of Using Olive Pomace as a Source of Renewable Energy for Electricity Generation in the Kingdom of Jordan. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 4, 063132.
[21] Borello, D., De Caprariis, E., De Filippis, P., Di Carlo, A., Marchegiani, A., Pantaleo, A.M., Shah, N. and Venturini, P. (2015) Thermo-Economic Assessment of an Olive Pomace Gasifier for Cogeneration Applications. Energy Procedia, 75, 252-258.
[22] Intini, F., Kühtz, S. and Rospi, G. (2012) Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of an Energy Recovery Plant in the Olive Oil Industries. International Journal of Energy and Environment, 3, 541-552.
[23] Rajaeifar, M.A., Akram, A., Ghobadian, B., Rafiee, S. and Heidari, M.D. (2014) Energy-Economic Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Analysis of Olive Oil Production in Iran. Energy, 66, 139-149.
[24] Rajaeifar, M.A., Akram, A., Ghobadian, B., Rafiee, S., Heijungs, R. and Tabatabaei, M. (2016) Environmental Impact Assessment of Olive Pomace Oil Biodiesel Production and Consumption: A Comparative Lifecycle Assessment. Energy, 106, 87-102.
[25] Vourdoubas, J. (2016) Reduction of CO2 Emissions Due to Energy Use in Crete-Greece. Energy and Environment Research, 6, 23-30.

comments powered by Disqus

Copyright © 2017 by authors and Scientific Research Publishing Inc.

Creative Commons License

This work and the related PDF file are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.